Tips for a Healthier Family
- Plan your week(s) ahead on a calendar. Include all activities your family is involved with and add a menu for dinners.
- Plan your grocery shopping trip around your menu. Go once for the whole week and take a list based on your planned menu to save time and money.
- Use sale fliers or coupon phone apps to know what’s on sale. If you plan on grilling chicken one night but pork chops are on sale, don’t be afraid to change your menu so you can save money.
- Purchase fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season. They are always less expensive. Challenge your family to try one new fruit or vegetable per week – taste buds change every few months!
- Add dried items like beans, whole grain pasta, and brown rice to your menu. They are very inexpensive.
- Prep vegetables and meats early in the week to save time while cooking. Use crock pots for dinners that are ready when you get home!
- Set a reminder to help children know it’s time to get ready for bed.Routine is a must for kids of all ages to wind down and prepare for sleep.
GO! and WHOA! Habits
· Getting 60+ minutes of heart-pumping physical activity daily!
· Taking a family walk around the neighborhood
· Turning physical activity into a game or competition
· Having a dance party!
· Completing active chores around the house
· Hitting up the produce section first when shopping
· Drinking your body weight (but in ounces) in water daily
· Filling at least half your plate with fruits and veggies
· Spending more than 2 hours on computers/phones/tablets/watching TV (aka “screen time”)
· Sitting for more than an hour without getting up to stretch your legs
· Indulging in unhealthy foods on a regular basis
· Inhaling second-hand smoke…first-hand tobacco products are a NO! activity!
· Choosing sugary beverages more often than water.
Don’t overwhelm yourself! Start with one healthy GO! habit at a time, and build more as you go!
Sleep is Important!
The National Sleep Foundation recommends:
Newborns ranging in age from 0-3 months need 14-17 hours daily
Infants ranging in age from 4-11 months need 12-15 hours daily
Toddlers, ages 1-2 years need to sleep 11-14 hours daily
Preschoolers ages 3-5 need to sleep 10-13 hours daily
School aged children ages 6-13 need to sleep 9-11 hours daily
Teenagers ages 14-17 need to sleep 8-10 hours daily
Young adults ages 18-25 need 7-9 hours sleep daily
Adults ages 26-64 require 7-9 hours daily
Older adults over age 65 need 7-8 hours daily